Aunt Effies Wine Cookies


Wine Cookies



                                       
This is my Aunt Effies recipe.
I did some research on the wine cookies.
I found it's called several different names and can be a tradition in both Jewish and Italian homes.
Also I should tell you this is not a $2 recipe.
It is expensive to make these cookies, but I'm sharing with you a family tradition.
I hope you like them as much as I do.

INGREDIENTS:

1 c. marsala or Lambrusco wine

2/3 cup raisins ( I like golden raisns)

4 cups flour

3/4 cup sugar

16 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened

3/4 tsp. kosher salt



1 egg white, beaten til foamy

3/4 cup candied pineapple and cherries.

1 c. pecans or walnuts



Directions:

Heat oven to 475F / convection to 450F.
Mix wine and raisins together  in bowl for 30 min.
Combine flour, sugar, butter, salt in large bowl, beat with hand mixer until incorporated, 2-3 min.
Add egg white you have beaten until frothy; mix to combine.
Stir in raisins and wine,, candied fruit, and pecans.
Line cookie sheet with parchment psper.
Cookies should be about 1 tablespoon or larger  in size and about 1/2" thick. Bake until dark brown but moist in center, 20 to 25 min. Cool 20 min. Then serve.
These cookies can keep up the five weeks.
They are good even when stale!


Comments